Joshamee Gibbs, ofter referred as Mr.Gibbs or simply Gibbs, is a is a fictional character in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies: he is portrayed by the english actor Kevin McNally.
Gibbs is first seen in The Curse of the Black Pearl as a boatswain in the British Royal Navy, on a ship carrying Governor Weatherby Swann and his little daughter Elizabeth from England to Port Royal, in the Caribbean.
Despite his initial dread of pirates, he became good friends with Black Pearl's former captain, Jack Sparrow: his history is well-known to Gibbs,including the mutiny and the curse afflicting Black Pearl's crew.
He is one of the very few sailors to put up his hand when Jack asks if any one came to save him just because they missed him, indicating a strong friendship between him and Jack. Jack also lets Gibbs throw his hat as long as he got it back, in the third movie.
Modified from Wiki
Caps from the three movies!
- It's bad luck to have a woman on board. Even a miniature one. (The Curse of the Black Pearl)
- Everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it: pirates! (The Curse of the Black Pearl)
- Curse ya for breathin', ya slack-jawed idiot! (The Curse of the Black Pearl)
- Don't you know, it's bad luck to wake a man when he's sleeping. (The Curse of the Black Pearl)
- Gibbs: [as Jack steps onto the Pearl, holding a severed skeletal leg] Not quite according to plan.
Jack: Complications arose, ensued, were overcome. (Dead Man's Chest)
- Gibbs: Captain, I think the crew, meaning me as well, were expecting something more... shiny. What with the Isla de Muerta going all pear-shaped, reclaimed by the sea and the treasure with it. [...] All in all, its been some time since we did a speck of honest piratin'.
Gibbs: Aye, shiny. (Dead Man's Chest)
- Gibbs: Captain, you know that don't do any good.
Jack: It does me! (Dead Man's Chest)
- Gibbs: Let's put some distance between us and this island and head out to open sea.
Jack: Yes to the first and yes to the second, but only insofar as we keep to the shallows as much as possible.
Gibbs: That's seems a bit contradictory, Captain.
Jack: I have every faith in your reconcilliatory navigational skills, Master Gibbs. (Dead Man's Chest)
- Will: Why is Jack afraid of the open ocean?
Gibbs: Well, if you believe such things... there's a beast does the bidding of Davy Jones - a fearsome creature with giant tentacles that'll suction your face clean off, and drag an entire ship down to the crushing darkness. The Kraken. They say the stench of its breath is...[shudders] Imagine... the last thing you know on God's green Earth is the roar of the Kraken, and the reeking odor of a thousand rotting corpses... if you believe such things.
Will: And the key will spare him that?
Gibbs: Well, that's the very question Jack wants answered. Bad enough even to go visit...her. (Dead Man's Chest)
- Gibbs: Aye...and already the world seems a bit less bright. He fooled us all to the very end. But I guess that honest streak finally won out. [Raises mug.] To Jack Sparrow! (Dead Man's Chest)
- Tia Dalma: What... would you? Hmmm? What would any of you be willing to do? Hmmm? Would you sail to the end or the earth, and beyond, to fetch back witty Jack and 'im precious Pearl?
Gibbs: Aye! (Dead Man's Chest)
- Jack: Mr. Gibbs, you may throw my hat if you like. [hands Gibbs his hat]
Gibbs: Aye aye, Captain! [throws hat] Hooray!!
Jack: Now go get it. (At World's End)